First engraving of Gideon Mantell's Hylaeosaurus discovery in the Tilgate forest quarry of the Weald. It represents only the third dinosaur to be discovered and named. Drawn and lithographed by F. Pollard, printed by Graf & Soret. From 'The Geology of the South East of England' by Gideon Mantell, 1833, published by Longman, Rees, Orme and Brown of Paternoster Row. Mantell himself notes in the legend 'This plate represents the extraordinary and highly interesting fossil discovered in Tilgate forest by the author in the summer of 1832. The specimen exhibits the anterior part of the skeleton of an unknown extinct reptile, which as been named Hylaeosaurus, or Fossil Lizard of the Weald'. It is still the best specimen that exists of this genus of primitive armoured ankylosaurian dinosaur (BMNH). The spines lie along the side of the dinosaur but were placed as a crest in early reconstructions.